We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please click my disclosure policy to learn more
So, you guys, can I share something with you? I’m not a homeowner!
You see, my family travels A LOT, and so we spend a ridiculous amount of time searching for rental homes all over the world.
So, I’ve had quite a few experiences with landlords, and here are some starter questions to consider when looking to lease an apartment or home.
Here are some of the ones I think are most important:
What to ask your landlord BEFORE signing a contract
- Is there a carbon monoxide alarm present? If not, will this be provided?
- Is garbage removal present at this address?
- What’s the state Law on lead-based paint & is it present?
- Are locks changed after tenants depart, and are we able to change them?
- Does this apartment fall under one of the apartments that have previously frozen? (Freezing concerns)
- Does this apartment freeze on low heat setting?
- Is there a cost to request the removal of the furniture in the apartment? (Considering furniture is not needed or maybe a hazard to your family?)
- Also, is there a possibility to request furniture if something is needed? Does this incur any costs? (In Europe, many, if not all apartments (called “flats” are typically furnished)
- Is subleasing allowed for a lease greater than 6 months, considering the new tenant is acceptable?
- In regards to heat, what are the extra costs for desiring temperature higher than 72?
- Does this apartment have an electric baseboard?
- Insulated/ or double glazed windows?
- Can you recommend a tenants insurance policy?
What more questions or tips do you ladies have for us? What has your experience been with renting? Share them with us in the comments below!